Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The end of week one and the start of week two

Tonights blog will be a quick one.. It's 6:51, and I still need to get my 20 minutes of exercise in, and I need to dodge the lightening bolts to get the mail.


Yesterday was a good day, uneventful, and I don't have much to report out.  Seriously the diet works so well for me when I'm not upset, or mad, or worried.  More on that later.  I started the day out with a new fruit.  I had tried a kumquat years ago, I'm talking 1992ish.  I was invited to a Vietnamese New Year celebration with a dear friend.  I'm sad to say that I have lost contact with her.  But, it was such a cool cultural event.  Both Regina and I went, it actually may have been 1993.  My friend had a kumquat tree thing growing in a pot in her living room.  I asked her about them, and she offered me one.  Now I have to say, it's 2014.  And, I couldn't remember how they tasted.  I saw them at our local safeway, and had to buy a handful.  These little babies pack a powerful lemon tartness, with a tiny bitter sweetness at the end when you're chewing up the outer part of the kumquat.  They were ok, I'm not sure it's something I'd ever really crave, but I'm glad that I bought some and tried them.  I even shared a few with two of my speech students.  They said they were brave, and willing to try them.



After work, I ran tons of errands.  Target, REI, Hallmark, and Ulta.  Had to hit the Treadmill yesterday of course, and then cook dinner and get the boys out of the door by 6:30.  I made thin, lean steak with long quarters of zucchini grilled with a side of grapes.  Dinner was delicious.  I seriously don't mind the food on this diet, it's the "lack" of F.L.A.B.B. foods that I miss.
So, then comes my morning.  I woke up, and immediately stepped on the scale.  Sorry it's not turned the right way, but you can see that I've ONLY lost 1.6 lbs.  For all that hard work, I did expect more.  I was disappointed, disgruntled, and just kinda fed up.  This was not a good way to start my day.  Then, top that off with being late to work.  Seriously, was today Monday, because it felt like a Monday.  At work, there were millions of obstacles.  It was the last day for the seniors.  There were breakfast burritoes, cinnamon rolls, pizza, ice cream (literally shoved in my face by a kind co-worker, who knows that I'm on a diet), chocolate chip cookies, and chips.  Well, let's just say that by the end of the afternoon, I had to take a snacking penalty.  Because of that, I should drink more water, but I haven't LOL.


The best part of my entire day was using my new cap that I got at REI with our dividend points.  We have 2 camelbak water bottles that have no lids.  So I bought this baby to give it a try.  I LOVE it!  It allows me to guzzle water quick.  I can put down a 1/2 liter in like 3 minutes ... if that.  I should time myself tomorrow just for kicks and giggles.  You should invest in one... They are pretty sweet!

I even met with my mentor today, at a place called ModMarket (at 4)and was able to get a white bean tuscan soup that fit the diet well.  For dinner, we had left overs (pulled pork, sauteed onions and peppers, and a side of grapes).  Tomorrow I am back at it!  I will not let the numbers, or the turkeys out there get me down.  Life has been a little stressful for me lately.  I've had a few emotional happenings over the last week, that have caused me to feel mad, upset, and worried.  I've learned that I'm an emotional eater, I'm also one of those orally fixated people.  I use to suck my thumb when I was little, now I chew gum, but sometimes I just like to chew.  I love to chew ice, but we don't have ice at my work.  Also, sometimes just sitting at my desk makes me have the urge to just pop something yummy in my mouth.

So in honor of all the mean people out there.  OK, honestly, there aren't that many.  I found this inspirational quote for myself.  Hopefully it'll help you out too.  Are there any other dieters out there?? Sometimes I feel alone in this huge cyber world.  How do you make it over life's hurdles, and deal with obstacles?  (public service announcement... I do not condone smoking, but this quote seriously spoke to me tonight).




6 comments:

  1. Gywn - you are doing awesome. 1.6 pounds is great weight loss. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. People who lose at that pace tend to keep the weight off! I've been doing Weight Watchers for almost a year and have only lost 18 pounds. It takes time. I would lose and then gain and lose and gain some back. But I'm almost at my goal weight! So, don't be too hard on yourself. :-) You will get there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Dawn!!! I will certainly try to remember that. Congrats on almost hitting your goal weight!! I can't imagine how exciting that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go sis.....the blog looks great and good luck on reaching your goals.One day I will have time to get back in that gym LOLOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Quinn! You will have to get back to it one day :) But, I understand busy and not enough time, that's for sure! See you in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gwyn, I too am struggling right now. I feel like I finally get in a groove and then we have company or something happens and I fall off the wagon. Over the past 3 years, I have gained 20 pounds and am miserable. From my experience, it is not necessarily the scale that matters so much to me, it was the way I felt. When eating extremely healthy and exercising, I just felt better. Full of energy and emotionally strong enough to take on life's punches. It is hard. Just know that this isn't a "diet", this is a lifestyle change. Remember that the end goal is to be healthy and live a long, long life to build wonderful memories with Jon, Reg, Devon and future Grandkids. That is why you are doing this. Your health!! I sure do wish that we lived closer. I am on the same journey! We should do some family hikes this summer! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sunseeker! I try very hard not to let the scale rule my thoughts, but it can be hard. I think once I hit 40, things began to be tough. Um, can I be 35 again pls. Haha, being from New Orleans, it's very hard for me to embrace the healthy lifestyle concept, but I'm trying. We should absolutely do some family hikes. We don't have tons of lucky getting Kid B out the house, but I'm always up for a hike!

    ReplyDelete